Archive | Writing Without Waffle

Great slogans and rubbish slogans

When Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic played tennis at the O2 in November 2010, there was a pause while Novak had a contact lens attended to on court. Some wag in the crowd shouted: “Should’ve gone to Specsavers” — five words that have proved very effective for the company.

It’s harder to write something short than something long. So, in this article, I’ve analysed a range of slogans and suggest the reasons why they work (or don’t).

Positive emotions

People buy because of how you make them feel, not because of what you tell them. These examples all contain positive emotions:

– Terry’s Chocolate Orange: “Smash it to pieces. Love it to bits.”

– Recruitment agency: ‘Love Mondays.’ That’s just it. They don’t sell jobs. They sell happy Mondays.

– Head & Shoulders: ‘Making heads happier.’

Anthropomorphising is a commonly used technique (that is, giving human qualities to something).

NLP in slogans

In Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) terms, people have a preference for Visual, Auditory or Kinaesthetic sensory inputs. That is to say, they like pictures, words or feelings.

– Canon: ‘Take more than pictures. Take stories.’ By combining a visual word ‘pictures‘ with an auditory word ‘stories‘, the slogan appeals to a wider audience.

– Lloyd Grossman sauces: ‘Sauces with a distinctive voice‘. It fits. And I like the fact that they have combined the sense of taste (a sauce) with the sense of hearing (voice).

Repetition in slogans

Repeat something three times, and maybe add a touch of innuendo. It sticks in the memory!

– Deep pan pizza: “Real deep. Real good. Real thing.”

– Martini: “Anytime, anyplace, anywhere.”

– Aldi: ‘Great food, great prices, pass it on‘. It has the benefit and a call to action. Like on Twitter, saying ‘Please Retweet‘ (or ‘Pls RT‘), it results in more people actually doing what you say.

Weasel words

You have to be careful about literal meaning:

– Anadin: “Nothing works faster.” So take nothing, because it works faster!

– ‘Renault build a better car’. Better than what?

Rubbish slogans?

And these examples don’t work for me at all!

– Dolland & Aitchison opticians: ‘We promise to treat you like a person, not a sausage.’ Assumes that other opticians treat people like a sausage factory while I’m not sure that they do, do they?

– Haulage van: ‘Customer driven.’ It’s clever, as it has meaning on more than one level. But it’s stupid, because the customer doesn’t drive the van. If it were on a self-drive vehicle, that would be a different story.

– Oasis Drinks: ‘Fruity drinks and lunchtime dreams.’ Just doesn’t make any sense!

What you want from your slogan

Magnum ice-cream: ‘World Pleasure Authority.’ This slogan was used with an on-pack promotion to give away £3m-worth of pre-paid Mastercards, so winners could buy whatever they like. That’s because Magnum don’t sell ice-cream, they sell pleasure. And what’s the usual response to pleasure? “Mmm, that’s nice.”

Similarly, I don’t sell marketing and copywriting services. I sell ‘Writing Without Waffle‘, to which the usual response is “Ooh, that’s useful“.

So what do you sell?

Is it something that people really, really want? Does it make them go “Mmm” and “Ooh“?

If not, perhaps you’d better change it!

I originally wrote this article for Fresh Business Thinking

0

Lessons from last night’s Apprentice

Last night, the teams were tasked with producing a ‘freemium’ (free premium) magazine, and selling advertising in it.

Top tip from the experts at Shortlist Media at the beginning of the show: “Understand your readers and their needs.”

So, did they?

The focus group for the lads’ mag team asked them to raise the tone. They called it ‘Covered’ but included articles such as ‘How to blow your load’. They won, even though one advertising agency said it would alienate 80% of their client base.

The other team called their mag for over-60s, ‘Hip Replacement’, a name that’s sooooo bad, I can’t even find the words to explain why!

And how deliciously they squabbled in the boardroom!

Susan was the only team-member who spoke up against the name. She does seem to talk a lot of sense, but the others overrule her because she’s young. Jim called her a ‘mouse’, claimed her feedback was a ‘whisper in the night’, and said they were ‘all trying to shoot Bambi’.

Oh Jim. At one point, I thought you’d be the winner, but your Machiavellian tendencies are working against you. And I couldn’t believe your inflexibility about negotiating on the first rate card. I thought everybody knew you negotiate on the rate card! (Susan did.)

Although Jim tries to get agreement from everybody to deflect negative attention from himself, Lord Sugar called him a ‘control freak’ and Karren said he’s ‘passive aggressive’. Lord Sugar also said: “What I’ve forgotten about bullshit you ain’t even learnt yet.” It was the best line in the show.

Like Edna last week, who over-stressed her qualifications, Glen “I’m social secretary at a football club” was fired. Maybe because Jim and Susan make far better telly!

With goodies, baddies and bickering, The Apprentice is still a show that understands the TV audience and their needs. And, as business-owners, that’s what we all need to do for our clients.

0

World’s worst speech

Another day, another networking group launches.

Nice venue. Nice breakfast. But then the regional director stood up and said: “I’m now going to bore you all to death about [Name of organisation] for 10 minutes.”

Oh no! That’s called ‘setting expectations’. He said it twice, and our expectations were well and truly set.

He went on to say: “I’ll try not to muff it…I’m going to sit down because I’m old and decrepit and need to support the weight of my stomach after breakfast.”

Trying to convince us to join: “You don’t have to bounce up and down like some other groups I could mention…This is networking for grown-ups…I don’t like people who think they’re better than anyone else…I’m looking for people to run clubs for me, because I don’t want to do it.”

And later: “I’ll probably cause a mass exodus when I tell you the cost of joining.”

How keen do you suppose his audience was at this point?

When talking about the rules & regulations of membership, he held up a little leaflet, and said: “Most members don’t even bother to read it which is why it’s so small. If you ask our members what the rules and regulations are, they look at you blankly.”

As a membership perk, he proffered a green plastic “leather-look” folder, and warned us that the magnetic button drops off and that we should buy our own Araldite to fix it.

Continue Reading →

1

Accelerate: where’s it going?

Review of Accelerate, ‘the magazine for ambitious business owners’ produced by NABO.

I picked up this magazine at a NABO Networking launch meeting last week. Their meetings have an interesting format: low entry point, no ‘lock-outs’, one2ones within the meeting, education slots etc. I approve! At a time when many traditional networking groups seem increasingly ‘tired’ (even those that now include peer-to-peer development), it will be interesting to see how NABO’s approach works out.

The whole publication is well-written and designed (although my copy has already fallen apart, possibly through over-use). Anyway, I picked out the key learning points that seem particularly useful:

Article about the growth of Stefan Boyle’s print company, Print Republic

“We were making the mistakes that other companies were making: we were talking about ourselves. We didn’t talk from a customer’s or prospect’s perspective.”

Article about training consultant, Frances Tolton

Jonathan Jay advised her to find out what customers actually want. She asked them: “If you had money to spend on training, what type of training would you spend it on?” She also went to her current clients and asked the simple question: “What else can we do for you?” He also advises: “Find the type of marketing you are best at and invest first in that.”

Continue Reading →

1

Scary!

Actual recording from a training session attributed to the Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM):

The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn’t. By subtracting where it is from where it isn’t, or where it isn’t from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The guidance subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the missile from a position where it is to a position where it isn’t, and arriving at a position where it wasn’t, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn’t, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn’t.

In the event that the position that it is in is not the position that it wasn’t, the system has acquired a variation, the variation being the difference between where the missile is, and where it wasn’t. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too may be corrected by the GEA. However, the missile must also know where it was.

The missile guidance computer scenario works as follows. Because a variation has modified some of the information the missile has obtained, it is not sure just where it is. However, it is sure where it isn’t, within reason, and it knows where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it wasn’t, or vice-versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of where it shouldn’t be, and where it was, it is able to obtain the deviation and its variation, which is called error.

0

First words

I was interested to see this in Peter Roper’s blog:

  • First ever tweet Just setting up my twttr
  • First words spoken on YouTube Alright, so here we are in front of the elephants
  • First ever text message Merry Christmas
  • First mobile phone call Joel, this is Marty. I’m calling you from a cellphone, a real, handheld, portable cellphone
  • First telephone call Mr Watson, come here. I want to see you

Original source: BBC

One of my earliest memories is from when I was about four years’ old, sitting at a table outside the kitchen where my Mum was preparing a meal. I knew that you put letters together to make words, and was carefully writing three letters at a time on a piece of paper before running in to ask: “Is this a word? Is this a word?” Usually, she’d say No. Eventually, I wrote cat. My first word!

0

Notes on copywriting

You’ve heard that you have to turn features into benefits. That you should write from your customer’s point of view. That you ought to use the word ‘you’ more than you use the word ‘we’. So here’s an example of how it’s done:

Before

Each apartment features a unique layout, designed with ease of living in mind. These luxury apartments offer ample space for everyday living.

After

If you are looking for great accommodation with a light and contemporary layout, designed with ease of living in mind, you’ll find we have an apartment to suit you.

If you want to check your own website, you can use the We We Test.

0

Twittle Red Riding Hood

Want to know how Twitter works? Read this story as a novel way to learn about the etiquette of Twitter code, conversation and content.

(With apologies to the real owners of these usernames)

Mum
@ LittleRedRidingHood Pls would you take this basket of food and deliver it to @ Grandma?

LittleRedRidingHood
@ Mum OK, although I’m a bit scared going through the forest on my own

Mum
@ LittleRedRidingHood Just be careful and don’t talk to any strangers

LittleRedRidingHood
Just checked in to ‘The Forest’ on FourSquare

BigBadWolf
@ LittleRedRidingHood Where are you going, little girl?

LittleRedRidingHood
RT @Mum Just be careful and don’t talk to any strangers // That means YOU!

BigBadWolf
@ LittleRedRidingHood *Sniffs. What’s that in your basket? #HungryLikeAWolf

LittleRedRidingHood
@ BigBadWolf Some goodies for my Grandma. Now go away and leave me alone

BigBadWolf
Just checked in to ‘Grandma’s House’ on FourSquare

Grandma
@ BigBadWolf Who’s that? ARRGGGHHHH!!!

BigBadWolf
Just swallowed Grandma whole. What did you have for lunch today?

BigBadWolf
Now dressed in Grandma’s clothing. What are you wearing today?

LittleRedRidingHood
@ Grandma OMG, what big eyes you have!

Grandma
@ LittleRedRidingHood All the better to see you with, my dear.

LittleRedRidingHood
@ Grandma OMG, what big ears you have!

Grandma
@ LittleRedRidingHood All the better to hear you with, my dear.

LittleRedRidingHood
@ Grandma OMG, what big TEETH you have!

Grandma
@ LittleRedRidingHood All the better to EAT you with, my dear. #HungryLikeAWolf

LittleRedRidingHood
ARRGGGHHHH!!! #RunsAwayScreaming

For your chance to win a F.R.E.E. 30-minute telephone consultation about social media, email jackie@comms-plus.co.uk before 31/3/2013. One lucky winner will be picked from all entries received by the closing date. Good luck!

Woodcutter
Nice day in #TheForest. What’s it like where you are?

LittleRedRidingHood
@ Woodcutter Hayulp! Hayulp! @ BigBadWolf has got into @ Grandma’s account!

Woodcutter
@ BigBadWolf Get out of @ Grandma’s account right now, or I will Block you and report you as Spam

BigBadWolf
@ Woodcutter Grrr!

Woodcutter
*Swings mighty chopper

BigBadWolf
ARRGGGHHHH!!!

Grandma
Just escaped from inside @ BigBadWolf thanks to @ Woodcutter!

LittleRedRidingHood
#FF @ Woodcutter So brave! So fearless!

Woodcutter
D LittleRedRidingHood Mmm, you look nice in red xxx

LittleRedRidingHood
D Woodcutter Thanks, shall we have a Tweetup?

*****

Key to Twitter code

@ Username = Clickable link to a particular
Twitter user in a public message that other Twitter users can see

RT = Retweet = Tweet that is passed on by other Twitter users

#Hashtag = A way to collate all tweets about a particular keyword

#FF = Follow Friday = A recommendation to other Twitter users to follow a particular username

OMG = Oh My God

Pls = Please

D = Direct Message = A private message only possible between Twitter users who follow each other and only seen by them

Tweetup = Meetup arranged on Twitter

This article was originally published on Business on Twitter.

One of the services I provide for clients is writing Twitter and Facebook updates as the voice of their brand. Alternatively, I can train you how to do it yourself. Please contact me if you’d like some social media help.

This article has also been published on Fresh Business Thinking and Business on Twitter

0

2 ways to separate business and personal on Facebook

1. Use ‘friend lists’ to send separate status updates

Go to your Profile

> Friends

> Edit friends

Choose ‘All friends’ from the dropdown list

> Create a list

(Or hover beside each x symbol to ‘Edit lists’ you have already created)

Click the Facebook logo and write your status update

Click the padlock symbol

> Custom

Under ‘Make this visible to’ choose ‘Specific people’

Type the name of your list e.g. ‘work’ or ‘home’

> Save setting

> Share

To check that it has worked the way you want…

Go to Account

> Privacy settings

> Customise settings

> Preview my profile

Type the name of an individual from your list/s, to see what they see when they look at your profile

2. Create a Facebook Page

Your Profile collects Friends; while your Page collects Likes (previously known as Fans). Your Page must be connected to your Profile (although if you don’t click to ‘Like’ your own Page, no-one will know you have anything to do with it).

Click the Facebook logo top left

> Adverts and Pages (which may be under ‘More’ in the left hand column) OR Search for ‘Pages’ and click the icon that looks like blue and green speech bubbles (NOT the icon that says ‘App’).

> Create Page

Choose:

Local business or place

OR

Company, organisation or institution

OR

Brand or product

OR

Cause or community

Choose Category

Name your page after your company (or for SEO)

N.B. Your Page Name Must Have Initial Capitals or Facebook Will Reject It!

Tick T&Cs

Get started

[EDIT: Since the launch of Google+ circles, Facebook has now changed the way it manages friend lists]

0