Here are my top 15 logos of all time (in no particular order). Please let me know what you think, and add your own favourites in the comments.
1. At first glance, this logo might look nothing special. But, if you look at the white space between the E and the X you’ll see an arrow pointing left to right (the direction we read in the English language). Once you’ve seen the arrow, you can’t un-see it. Even if your conscious mind doesn’t register it, your unconscious mind does. This is not just a designer indulgence. It’s a clever fit with the brand (in case you weren’t aware, Federal Express is a worldwide courier service).
2. The Amazon arrow is a smile that goes from A to Z.
3. The white space between the red and blue makes a C for Carrefour, the French hypermarket.
4. The double T in the logo for this Parisian department store looks like the Eiffel Tower.
5. The words NEW and MAN are a mirror image of each other.
6. The H makes a little house, perfect for the housing and homelessness charity.
7. Another logo using the technique of ‘negative space’, the letters E and D make a plug.
8. A Reader’s Digest publication about families with parents and child represented by the lower case letters I, L and I.
9. I think this is my favourite! It still works for me, even if films are all digital these days.
10. Sadly, I don’t know who to credit for this or the other clever logos. But I do think they deserve a prize!
11. This logo is for the Rehabilitation Hospital Corporation of America, and says it all.
12. The Toblerone icon is a dancing bear. Can you see it in the snow on the mountain?
13. Typeface = a face made of type, of course.
14. Bottles of wine and binoculars at the same time.
15. The space between the girl’s back and leg makes a map of Australia.
I hope these examples convince you why it’s worth paying a professional to design your logo for you! Contact me and I’ll connect you with tried and trusted graphic designers in my network.